Are There Mosquitoes in New York?
Mosquitoes can be quite the frustration when enjoying the outdoors, and unfortunately, they are pretty active here in New York. In fact, you can expect to encounter about 70 different species of mosquitoes here. Though not all species are considered a threat to your health, some have the potential to transmit serious viruses, such as West Nile Virus, Zika Virus, and Eastern Equine Encephalitis Virus.
There’s no need to worry because we’re here to help you become better informed when it comes to mosquito safety and prevention. Keep reading to learn more about when mosquitoes are most active, at-home remedies to prevent them, and long-term solutions.
What Months do Mosquitoes Come out in NY?
Mosquitoes are most prevalent in New York during the months of April through October. During these months it’s important to be extra cautious because mosquitoes are the most active, and the impact of their bites can cause unnecessary frustration and stress.
When exploring your love for the outdoors, it’s always best to take protective measures to reduce the likelihood of becoming a target. Keep mosquito repellant handy at all times, apply it liberally, wear clothes that cover the majority of your skin, and take your activities indoors during their most active times– sunrise and sunset.
When Can I spray for Mosquitoes in NY?
When you’re looking to get rid of mosquitoes, the best time to spray is at dusk or dawn. Since they are most active during these times of day, you’ll have a better chance of eliminating them in higher quantities. Mosquitoes thrive in warmer weather, so you’ll want to have a plan in place before the season starts. You can make sure you’re ahead of the curve by contacting your local mosquito control company.
What is the Best Mosquito Repellent?
When combating mosquitoes, you want to ensure your plan is effective and will keep them away for the long haul. While store-bought sprays and citronella candles can be effective, the best form of repellent is prevention. Luckily, there are many preventative measures you can implement that will aid in your protection, such as:
- Taking note of any damaged screens around your home, and repair or replace them as soon as possible ahead of the warmer months.
- Being extra careful to make sure you aren’t leaving doors open. This is the perfect invitation for mosquitoes to enter your home.
- Eliminating any sources of standing water, as this is where they are most likely to lay eggs. Conduct an inspection on the outside of your home to locate any puddles, abandoned containers or bottles, kiddie pools, tree stumps, or bird baths that have been collecting standing water, and get rid of them.
- Lighting citronella candles. Fortunately, mosquitoes despise this scent, so you’ll have coverage during the time they are lit.
- Using fans to your advantage. It’s already a necessity to try and keep cool during the warmer months, but what if they could serve a dual purpose? Circulating the air is a great way to make it much harder for mosquitoes to buzz around.
Professional Mosquito Control
When it comes to kicking mosquitoes out of your life, there’s only one way to guarantee the longevity of your efforts. Hiring a professional mosquito control expert is key in your journey to enjoying the outdoors again. At-home remedies can be a great temporary option, but you’ll only experience permanent results by contacting your local mosquito control company in New York. At Suburban Pest Control, we have the tools and experience to formulate a fool-proof treatment method that works specifically for you. We’re a family-owned and operated business with one main objective in mind– to provide exemplary service our customers can count on. With over 45 years in business, it’s a priority of ours to serve you with nothing other than integrity and trust. Whether you’re having a problem with mosquitoes indoors or outdoors, we have a plan for success! Wait no longer to take control of your health and well-being. Contact us today to get started.